Sunday, May 01, 2005

029: Currently Loving, Part 3

It’s been a while since my last “Currently Loving” post. I also want you, the nonexistent readers, to “sample” my music. But alas, call me technologically inept, I still don’t know how to do so. Oh well. C’est la vie. Now on to my list:

MUSIC

Susie Suh: Susie Suh

While listening to NPR, a relatively new singer-songwriter, Susie Suh, was featured. As a guest, she shared about her background, her music, etc.; it was your standard interview. But in between topics, they played a few samples of her songs. Her voice, it was her voice—sultry, hypnotic—a voice reminiscent of Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones, captivating my attention, tugging my heartstrings, taking me a little closer to an empty bank account. It was just too beautiful to pass by. Having downloaded her self-titled album from iTunes, I’m listening to her as I write this.

I’ve just check out her site, and I am a little peeved. If I had known about her a few days earlier, I could have seen her perform at Knitting Factory this past Wednesday. She was in NY! I’m always a step behind.

I can’t decide which of her songs I like the best. But as of now, I’m leaning towards Your Battlefield. It echoes my own frustrations and my own resolve to swim against the currents of others’ making:

Someday I will ask you if I was a disappointment
I will ask you if you’ve put your hard-earned money into a bad investment
You would tell me there are no guarantees
But you got solutions for security
And I will ask you, I will ask you, how about my dreams?

But you see, life is a battlefield
You have given me arms
You say I have to fight
I have to keep moving on

Someday I will ask myself if I was disillusioned
I will ask myself if I apprehend
That I made it on my own terms
Yeah, may have suffered some burns
But I am living my dreams and I am who I want to be




BOOK

Reza Aslan: No god but God

It’s surprising how little I knew about Islam.




DVD

Alexander Payne: Sideways

Does anyone want to go on a winery tour with me? I know New York State is no California, but we do produce good wines. Just drive around the Finger Lakes region and sample some Rieslings, Chardonnays, even the native varietals like Cayuga Whites. Our trip for two can be called Sideways Two.

No comments: