Monday, May 02, 2005

030: NARUTO

While living in Japan, I figured the second best way to learn vernacular Japanese (the best way being hanging out with Japanese, of course) would be to read mangas and watch a lot of animes/T.V. dramas/movies, etc. So I have been following Naruto (in the manga and anime form) even after my return to the States. Let me tell you, Naruto is fantastic! It rocks! If you haven’t seen it, what the hell is wrong with you? Stop reading this post, and go and acquaint yourself with it.



Reason One for Why I Love It So.
The show has had many different incarnations of opening and closing theme songs. If you have an eclectic taste in music as I do and are always in a lookout for good Japanese music, then check out these songs.

Reason Two for Why I Love It So.
Although Naruto can be dismissed easily by adults as made for kids, the real life issues the show tackles, the complex character developments, the occasional sexual content (with some homoerotic undertone), they all make the show more than meets the eye.

So why have I waited this long to rave about Naruto? Well, I just finished watching episode 132 (親友よ/Dear Friend), and like most episodes it’s action packed. But this last episode is special because it’s the end of the prelude to the match of all times: the fight-to-the-death duel between our hero, Naruto, and his chief rival and best friend, Sasuke. Mind you, I could just start reading the manga to find out what happens, but I want to be surprised. So, here’s what I see: there are two possible outcomes, either (1) Naruto unleashes the Nine-Tail Fox Demon that’s been trapped within him and becomes a total indestructible beast. Naruto, then, kicks Sasuke’s ass to a pulp. But when Sasuke is about to get killed, Naruto realizes that he is there to save Sasuke and aid Sasuke in winning back his soul. How the latter part will come to fruition, I have no idea. But I’m sure Masashi Kishimoto (the writer) can pull it off. Or better yet, (2) before Naruto can fully unleash the power within, Sasuke’s Curse Seal gets unlocked, releasing a powerful force that will overwhelm Naruto. Sasuke wins and Naruto gets killed. Sasuke, having fulfilled his goal to kill his closest friend, receives his blood-limit power. But wait, Naruto isn’t really dead. He has the demon inside him. He has to die for Sasuke to get his power, so technically Naruto dies, like how Buffy once died. (And as I’m writing this, I can’t but think how I feel like some dumb 13 year-old kid.) The demon inside him somehow revives him. Then we’re back to number one.

Reason Three for Why I Love It So.
I just do.


This has been the world’s worst post, ever. I’m not even sure if I want to post this. But because I’ve taken some time to write this drivel, I shall post it.

No comments: