Sunday, April 23, 2006

160: Weekend Update

Enjoyable. (Stomach grumbling.) Exciting. (Stomach grumbling.) Exhausting. (Stomach grumbling.)

Those words pretty much sum up my weekend here in D.C. Oh, yes, by the way, I'm in my hotel room in D.C. ready to turn in, because, well, I'm exhausted. But before I do, let me give you the highlights.

Yesterday, I arrived in D.C. to an overcast sky, and took the Metro over to my old place. While I was away, a new Korean restaurant with a nice decor and delicious foods, something you'd find in NYC or in LA, had opened up, according to my roommate, and he took me there. What a vast improvement in Maryland's Korean food scene. While we ate our Soondubu Chige, we caught up. He regaled me with a story about his recovery from his recent addiction to on-line gambling; I bored him with a tale about my addiction to a masochistic tendency to take on more work than I should take on.

After my late lunch, I metro-ed back to D.C., through the wind and rain, to have the pleasure to meet a fellow blogger, Steven. We went to Halo for their happy hour, 2 for 1, special. Steven graciously bought my drinks. I had the caramel apple martini, which was very caramel-ly and not very apple-ly, for my first drink; and for my second one, I had the appletini, which was very 'tini-ly and not very apple-ly. Steven's friend, Robert, who is also a blogger joined us. The three of us later moved on to Logan Tavern for a late dinner, where two other friends of Steven, Ray and Joey, joined to make a Party of Five. The food was sumptuous, but I guess the alcohol had taken over too much room in my stomach, I barely finished half the plate. Yes, all in all, it was a sunny rainy night.

On my return home, my other roommate was waiting for me. We hung out for a bit, made a run to a 7-11, hung out a little bit more, and then I crashed.

This morning, my stomach was unhappy. And my drinking a god awful Mocha Latte didn't lessen my stomach's unhappiness. But we had made plans for lunch, so the three old roomies found ourselves at a Japanese restaurant eating raw fish. My uncooperative stomach prevented me from enjoying the goodness that was laid before us. But as is the rule, a good conversation can make any meal absolutely yummy.

After lunch, I trekked my way to the hotel. As soon as I got to my room, the porcelain goddess beckoned and I offered her up a sacrifice. I crashed. Again. Then, I woke up a couple of hours later, only to find my troublesome stomach grumbling for food. So, I went outside and walked around looking for a quick dinner. As I was walking around, I realized I was very near to Halo, Logan Tavern, and the Whole Foods Market! A healthy, light dinner from Whole Foods! Dinner, done.

Now, I must go to sleep. Work awaits tomorrow morn.

No comments: