Sunday, December 25, 2005

130: A Rainy Christmas

The weather forecast predicts rain for New York City. We'll have a rainy Christmas.

So on this rainy Christmas day, I wanted to bring Christ back to Christmas. No, no, stop laughing. Okay, there's no need to roll your eyes, Mister. Seriously, do not worry, my brothers and sisters, I won't go fundamentalist on you. Nor will I preach. And don't seek a well thought out apologetic from what I'm about to say. A statement of one's faith, however well reasoned and logical, is considered a foolish ramble; and here I am the biggest fool.

But what this fool wants to ramble about is this: despite the loudness of some church-goers' tirade with their chants of "God hates fags," I do not buy into their lies! I believe in God; I believe He loves you and me just as we are. I believe He sent some two thousand years ago a nice Jewish baby who taught us love. I believe once this nice Jewish boy grew up, He walked around Judaea and Galilee healing and teaching, and even transforming lives. I believe He even died for the sake of love. And yes, I believe He rose from the dead.

For that I live; I live each day to love God, to love my neighbors, and to love myself.

If anyone thinks the shame and the disappointment I've sheltered and at times am still sheltering within me is because of who I am, well, one may be partially correct. But it has more to do with my shortcomings, which is a part of who I am, the limited and imperfect love I have for God, for my neighbors, and for myself. I pray that I can be more loving, not because I want to win points from God, assuring myself a ticket to heaven, but because I believe I can take part in building a Kingdom of God, here on Earth, now.

So on this day, a day when some well-intentioned believer decided to usurp a pagan holiday to make it the Lord's birthday, I am brought back to the wonder of it all. Hmm... every day should be Christmas, so I'd never forget the wonder of love.

Merry Christmas, everyone. I love you all.

As a little treat(?—well, you can decide), I'm posting a recording of me singing. I used to be in a Christian a cappella group back in college. I think I was pretty good. Hahaha, whatever.

Let It Rain. Originally performed by Newsboys.

No comments: