Tuesday, November 07, 2006

197: I Voted, But For What? I Don't Know

I’m a little disappointed with this year’s election. My district will never be a battle ground district. In fact, my state will always be predictably Democrat. Seriously, does my vote count?

Besides the federal races, in New York State, we are voting for a new Governor, Comptroller, and Attorney General, and not to mention for members of the State Assembly. After having a Republican Governor for 12 years, we will go back to a Democrat running this state, Eliot Spitzer. I’m surprised that the GOP did not field anyone strong enough to challenge Spitzer and follow in Pataki’s footstep. Not that I’m complaining. As for the State Comptroller, I don’t know what the Comptroller does, so I don’t really care. Except that the incumbent, a democrat, Alan Hevesi, is mired in some political scandal and there’s a talk of impeachment if he’s re-elected. That’s hot! Also, a good example of how in New York politics runs in the family is by watching the race for the Attorney General seat. The democratic candidate, Andrew, is a son of a former New York Governor, Mario, (and a brother of a certain anchor of a national morning news program, Chris). Can you guess the family name? Finally, as for who is going to represent me in the state Assembly, both the Senate seat and the House seat will go to the Democrats. So, clearly, it’s another year of predictable outcomes. Not that I’m complaining.

I just want my vote to matter, like the Floridians during the 2000 election, or the Ohioans during the 2004 election.

And my Congressional district will return the long standing, the twelfth termed and soon to be thirteenth, and the unopposed gentleman from Flushing, New York, Gary Ackerman, to the U.S. House of Representative. *Yawn!* Seriously, the man has not campaigned here at all for as long as I can remember. Also, the junior Senator, and hopefully the next President of the United States, Hillary will return to her seat in the Senate. But did she come and visit us? I think not!

Because we’re so predictable, no candidates ever visit. We have no worth. My vote does not matter.

I need to move.

No comments: