Thursday, September 08, 2005

085: Hungry, Hungry Hypo...

...cricy is what it is!

Someone once told me that being gay isn't a sin. Fantastic! Yet from the same mouth I heard that for a man to sleep with another man, well, it is NOT something God intended. Therefore to act contrary to what God intended, well, it's sin, isn't it?

Once I made an argument that in the Bible eating pork is considered a sin. But now I want to make another argument. Did you know that in the Bible menstruating women are to be set apart from the community because they are considered unclean? Women are penalized for a natural biological function. So in essense, it isn't a sin being a woman. But, well, because they menstruate, and God requires that they be quarantined, so as not to "dirty" or "make unclean" anyone who may come in contact, isn't it a..? And guess what? Peter the Apostle didn't dream Jesus coming down from heaven with menstruating women laying on top of a clean white sheet telling Peter it is okay to accept them as clean like He did with unclean foods. Yet, no Christians, even the ones that tell you it's not a sin to be gay, these days will ever say to a menstruating woman "it isn't a sin to be a woman, but since you are bleeding down there, I would like you to get thee out of the city gates until Aunt Flo goes away."

There are lots of laws in the Bible telling you what to do and what not to do, so that you stand right with God. Yet many Christians pick and choose what to follow and what not to. God's Grace, indeed!

So, hold steadfast to your beliefs. I don't expect anything otherwise.

You and I, we stand in dissonance.

***

To change the subject, I'm in a funk.

***

Addendum (09/14/05): I just wanted to provide the Bible reference for those of you who are interested. Leviticus 15: 19-32. I admit I've made an error when I said a menstruating woman was to be sent out of the city gates. She just needs to be kept away from rest of society, because anybody and anything that comes in contact with her is made unclean. After a woman is quarantined for seven days, on the eighth day, she must make a SIN offering, a SIN offering. I hope this clarifies.

No comments: