Sunday, February 04, 2007

234: Deranged

Did you know that you're merely a product of an imagination?

Douglas Adams, in his second book of the "Hitchhiker's" series, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe," speculates... Well, he doesn't speculate so much as asserts:
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
I find comfort in the words. Before I elaborate, consider this:

Did you note that Douglas Adams does not specify of whose imagination the "people you may meet from time to time" are the products?

But there's really no sense in you trying to figure out whose imagination Douglas Adams was referring to, because I already know the answer. Isn't it obvious? It's my imagination. You are merely a product of my imagination.

And I find comfort. I'm comforted because everyone loves... no, worships me. But because I want to be humble, I imagined the vast majority of people to pretend not to worship me, and in fact, I imagined them to ignore me and treat me like a total stranger. Seriously, I can totally wipe everyone out. Even you!

There! You don't exist.

And voila! You exist again.

What will you do without me? Oh yes, nothing. Why? Because you are merely a product of my imagination.

Ah... I find comfort. I'm comforted because there's no true rejection, and conversely, there's no true acceptance. There's really nothing. Only I exist. I am. I just am.

Holy SHIT! I'm GOD!

Don't worry, peons. I will keep my powers in check until I die. You won't have to love me. You won't have to worship me. You won't even have to search me to find meanings to your little lives. Besides, most of you won't ever search. And for those of you who search, you'll most likely (in environmental scientists' term, that's 90%) ignore the truth. But that's A-Ok. I like my world this way. Besides, you are merely a product of my imagination. (Repetition helps. You'll retain it better.)

Yes, I find comfort. I'm comforted...

No comments: