Wednesday, February 21, 2007

239: Awake, O Spring!

To say that I tend to have unbridled bouts of obsession would be an understatement. As I mentioned in my previous post, on Valentine's Day I ventured out in an ice storm to be awaken with Spring Awakening. The chain of events that lead me to the Eugene O'Neill Theater went something like this:

On Friday the 9th...
Being bombarded with the TV advertisement of the said musical every late night for nearly the entire week leads me to finally seek the iTunes store for the cast recording. Sampling a few songs inevitably lands me to open my wallet. The night peaks and reverberates with purple sounds of Duncan Sheik and blue lyrics of Steven Sater. And I just realize, I don't know what the previous sentence really means.

In the early hours of Saturday the 10th...
Having listened to the album a few... hundreds of times and having read several reviews, I buy into the hype. I'm sold faster... yes, I am had quicker than Renée was with Tom Cruise's hello. The homepage announces that there are seats that are on stage. Stage seats! I click the link to Tickets. They are affordable. And before I lay myself to sleep, one seat is eventually mine. The crazed, red eyed monster is appeased.

On Sunday...
As God decreed, I rest.

On Lincoln's Birthday...
Feelings of agitation, anxiety, and anticipation ascend to a fever pitch, because April 25 is too far away. And behold, a friend of mine informs me that her company, unlike my cheap ass one, provides their employees with perks, such as discounted theatre tickets. Should I use it? Should I try to see the show earlier than April 25?

On Valentine's Day...
I'm in row B, four seats in from the right aisle. And I get to see every saliva projectile launched out of Jonathan Groff's mouth, and not to mention, his bare ass, TWICE.

Today...
I'm still obsessed with the show... and the cast... and the music... What can I say, I am a fan. But like all my other obsessions, this too will fade, and I'll be back to being normal. But in the meantime, I'm going to watch David Letterman tonight to watch the cast perform.

Oh, for the funniest synopsis of the musical, click here.

No comments: