Friday, December 15, 2006

219: Narcissus's Ugly Sister

I've managed to be soberly this morning. So now I want to hash up a conversation I had with someone I met at the Holiday party. It started out with us talking about work, and then...
Her: (Incoherent) hot. Aren't you?
Me: Thank you.
Then, she gave me this awkward look. With a slight head shake, she continues. Enunciating.
Her: It's really hot in here. I'm hot.
It dawns on me. She wasn't saying I was hot. Oops. If not for the alcohol in my blood, my face would have revealed my embarassment.
Me: Oh, yes. It's hot.
I look away. Then, quickly I face her and smile as nothing had happened.


Now, I've been mulling over that particular exchange during my commute to the office. And I came to the conclusion that I could have executed the ending a lot better. So, let's revisit the scene.
Her: (Incoherent) hot. Aren't you?
Me: Thank you.
Her: It's really hot in here. I'm hot.
***
Me: Oh, yes. I know. Thank you. I'm the source of the hotness.
And then, I'd smile, a victor's smile.

Or... ooo... I could have said something like, "Global warming has nothing on me." Or like, "I'm sorry. It's my fault. I'm just too hot. You're just feeling my hotness" Or something equally inane.

No comments: